JD: Product Lead
A product visionary in his own right, Marty Cagan said that “behind every great product there is a person with great empathy for the customer, insight into what is possible, and the ability to see what is essential and what is incidental.” Our mission is to build products people love—always has been.
It’s your job to help lead the product forward, making sure your teammates deeply understand the why behind what they’re working on, and how their work realizes our product vision and strategy.
About the Role
You are the voice of the business within the team. You're responsible for the results of what we ship, and you own the business impact every step of the way. You deeply understand the market, emerging trends, and where the business opportunities lie.
- You always balance the business impact with the needs of customers—present and future—and are focused on outcomes over output.
- Leading with qualitative and quantitative research, you’ll work with the Design and Engineering teams to execute evidence-based product strategies from idea to launch that solve real problems for the market.
- You are responsible for the successful launch of everything the team ships, this means owning quality of the solution and excellence in the customer experience. Working with Sales and Product Marketing you will develop and execute Go To Market plans (including beta programs) to ensure the investments we make have the maximum possible impact on the business.
- With an understanding of Help Scout's vision and strategy, you always set informed metrics upfront and constantly measure and validate results.
- You’ll chat with customers regularly to make sure we’re getting things right. You’ll help the team understand the problems that customers want to solve, and you’ll offer thoughtful ideas and solutions for addressing the things that matter most.
- You’ll write warm, clear, and helpful product specs to help guide Design and Engineering on their path to craft products that customers are excited about. It’s your job to make sure that everyone has the context, knowledge, resources, and focused time to do their best work.
- Through written and video updates, you'll make sure that your teammates understand how customer behavior, business strategy, and market trends to inform product direction and why we choose what to work on.
- You are visionary and have the ability to inspire and influence the team and those around you to believe what you believe through constantly providing context (the why) to your vision, strategy and decisions so they deeply understand and aspire to give their best at all times.
- It is essential that you have strong, evidence-based opinions, but they should be weakly held and welcome debate. Likewise, you need the strength of your convictions to effectively convince others of your view when questioned or challenged on things you believe to be true.
- You strive for excellence through understanding. You lead with curiosity, always trying to figure out what’s helpful and what isn’t. You care more about the why, than the how.
- You are an outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You're highly empathetic, emotionally agile, and have rare people skills that allow you to build great relationships. As a remote team, your communication skills are critical to your success. You can take complex subjects and break them down using clear and simple writing.
- You’re passionate about solving problems, and you approach new obstacles collaboratively, with an open mind and a proper dose of humility.
- Geeking out on design or technical details is not essential, but you should have a good understanding of the core concepts associated with every project and what good looks like so that you can effectively challenge the team and produce the best possible result.
- You are intentional, organized, and disciplined. You take initiative and ownership to see things through to completion. You welcome an environment where you can do great work independently.
Who You’ll Work With
Ben Henderson, Head of Product – You’ll be reporting to Ben. Together, you'll sharpen product strategy, and document what you're learning along the way. Ben will help you grow in this role, and develop your skills. You’ll learn to ask great questions, to which the answers enable us to build great product.
Chris Brookins, Chief Product Officer & Head of Engineering – Chris is the Head of the Product organization and will work closely with you both as a Product Leader, and as a partner on the Engineering side. He’ll guide you and the team in developing great strategies and processes that help us achieve our business wide objectives.
Nick Francis, co-founder and CEO – Nick remains very involved in the product, from future vision to pushing pixels. You’ll work very closely with him on roadmap priorities, product ideas, and polishing the customer experience.
Design and Engineering – Together with these teams, you'll make up the ‘three legs of the stool’ on the product discovery front. You'll validate product ideas, tactics for getting things done, and metrics to measure success.
↑ Back to top